Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Day 29: Way Up There

It was a great day in the city of Sarasota! My Dad and I got to witness SUCH a breathtaking, nerve-wracking (for me) event at the Bayfront, about 7 miles from our home. After eagerly driving around Downtown Sarasota, impatiently looking for a parking spot, my father and I just stopped the car in a turn lane, hopped out and witnessed this daredevil stunt.

Nik Wallenda, a famous high wire artist, who happens to be from this beautiful city, performed a no nets, no harness walk, high in the sky above one of Sarasota's busiest roads. After being hoisted up by a crane, he proceeded to walk the 600 foot long high wire, that measures no more than a nickel in width. Oh, and did I mention he was 180 feet in the air!? This whole event began at 11:00AM this morning, and I was for sure this was going to take at least 30-40 minutes to complete. Much to my dismay, he completed this walk in 15 minutes! I can't speak for him, but I can say that it was the longest 15 minutes of MY life. Local news stations reported that AT LEAST 10,000 people showed up to witness this act. I'm SO excited that my Dad and I were 2 people that can say we finally saw him...LIVE!

I realize that it is so difficult to see him in the pictures that I have, but that just means you'll have to look extra hard to find him!


This stunt was a plain Jane kind of act for Nik, being that last year he completed a walk across Niagara Falls. Click here to read more about Nik and find out about the WILD things he has planned for later this year.









No comments:

Post a Comment